Sunday, August 2, 2009

Think I have a problem with my cat!?

I have just recently adopted my Aunties cat. In the past she was a bit plump and it would seem that my Aunty put her on a diet, She eats one tablespoon of cat meat twice a day with a handful of biscuits. She never eats all the meat and after three days I am throwing at least half a handful of biscuits away too. My Aunty was also giving the cat one teaspoon of cod liver oil in her meat twice a week too as she has dandruf from when she was a bit chunky and couldn't reach to clean herself.

My boyfriend and I think its odd that she eats so little as all the cats I have had in the past have eaten a tin of food a day with biscuits on top and have never ended up over weight. She was also sick this morning and (sorry to go in to details) but it had lumps of her meat in it!

She was also very unsettled last night, i.e. couldn't get comfy and was fidgety on the sofa when normally she's fine.

Am I worrying for nothing do you think?
Answers:
This is normal if it's been only about a week since the move. This baby should improve and start eating again after that. But if you see no improvement in about 8 or 10 days after the move, go to the vet. However, if the cat was fat and needed to lose weight, the cat is living off her own body fat and is getting all the nutrition it needs at this time. But don't let her get too thin. Vets are the best resource for this problem.

She is probably missing your Auntie. But call your vet, if for nothing else, for your own peace of mind.
go to the vet.
REALLY!
She could be upset by the move. Cats are very loyal and also very easily upset by things like moves or getting new people.
If it doesn't clear up in 3 days get her to a vet as it sounds like she may have an obstruction. (you don't want the details, TRUST me!)
Good luck and scratch the kitty for me!
My cat has four legs,
My dog has four legs,
Therefore my cat is a dog.
Why are you asking this here.take the poor animal to the vet, only they can give a proper diagnosis.
Hairball??..take her to the vet or rub some petroleum jelly on her front paw. She will lick it off. Do this twice a day for two days. If that doesn't pass the hairball, then take her to the Vet.
Keep an eye on her. It sounds like she is having a problem of adjusting to the new home. If she doesn't improve take her to a vet.

n3
It is a possibility that there could be a blockage or maybe a bad tooth so she is not chewing up the food. I guess we all have to do it, vet time. I hope that with the meat came up some hairball. Mine do it and that is usually the problem. Yes, stick with cat food, try some for overweight seniors. If a cat is out of character, yes, always a problem.I would take the cat to doc.. It could have a thyroid problem why it is so overweight. Best of luck to you. P.S. for that dandruff, get some shampoo from the vet's office for this, it really helps, it has no soap, but cleans and it is oat based. A very good conditioner. First things first, kitty feel better. Please get a very soft brush for cats, camel hair is best or very soft boar and never press. You can use a dampened wash cloth and the brush stroke with cloth then the brush. There are Kitty wipes at the pet store too that can help but must use the dampened wash cloth or paper towel and dry one too so kitty don't ingest too much of it when kitty bathes itself.
I agree with PoohP. Take her to a vet. It might not be anything but at least you will have the assurance that your kitty is safe.
your cat should be eating at least 100grams of meat twice a day +dry food should also drink water not milk that you drink which will make it sick sounds like it could have hair balls in its stomach which it will spew up with food if not better in a couple of days please take it to the vets for an expert opinion
If you are using a different brand than your aunt was using, it may have upset kitty's tummy. When you change brands you are supposed to do it gradually over 5 - 7 days, mixing a bit of new and old food.

Something you might want to try, that my cat enjoys, put a teaspoon or more of canned food in a bowl, add some water to it and stir, warm it in the microwave for a few minutes. This will give kitty nutrience and some extra water since cats tend to not drink enough.

The label on the can and hard food will tell you how much you should be feeding kitty, according to kitty's weight. My cat gets about a teaspoon or two of canned food and water (she usually just drinks the mixture, doesn't eat the meat), and 1/2 cup of dry food a day, she weights 7 pounds.

My cat was sick 4 days in a row after I switched her to a special diet prescribed by the vet. I called the vet after the 3rd day she vomited and they gave me advice over the phone, for free. (They said take her food away and don't feed her until suppertime. At supper, mix in her old food with her new food. She was sick the next day so I was told to only give her the old food, then she was fine after that.) Kitty was acting normal, being playful and purring, and didn't seem sick, so I didn't take her to the vet.
I would be worried. Take this poor kitty to the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment