Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thinking about giving up our cat?

We have a 3-year-old male cat. Unfortunately, my allergies are kicking in and I don't think we'll be able to keep him. I don't want to put him in a shelter; I can't stand the thought of him being in a cage. Is anyone interested?
Answers:
Hi there.I have to assume you've weighed this carefully and tried to find some resolutions with the allergies. Many over the counter products such as Allegra, Zyrtec, Singulair, Claritin are helpful for pet allergy sufferers as well as other methods to lower the cat dander. Here's an article on how to manage cat allergies if this is an option you would like to consider: http://www.allthatwomenwant.com/cataller.

Anyhow, everyone here in PetQnA.com are from all over the world therefore if you are considering looking to find a home for your kitty there are two online websites that are helpful to advertise:
Petfinder http://www.petfinder.com and Craiglist http://www.craigslist.org

On Craigslist, locate your state and then nearest city. Next under the Community section look for the subsection pets now you can post your ad. Please keep mind that there are people looking for free animals therefore it's recommended to ask for a small fee (e.g. $15-30) to disuade those individuals who want to give free pets to research labs, use for dog bait training, or worse . torture for entertainment. Consider mentioning to prospective adopters that you would like to conduct a home inspection for several months once each month to ensure your kitty's well-being.
why don't you get shots for your allegies?
I have very bad allergies but I have had cats all my life and I am getting another one this weekend. Allergy shots help out a lot and my doctor even gave me an allergy shot and allergy medicine. It's an alternative to help you keep your cat. If you really need to give him away, give him to the humane society, they treat them with care.
Get rid of the cat and adopt a short haired dog.
Sorry but I absolutely cannot have another animal . . . depending on the severity of your allergies a simple fix might just be giving the cat a bath every week. Good luck finding a solution.
It hasn't been a problem for 3 years, but now it is? Doesn't sound like your allergies are the only reason you want to dispose of the cat.
If you can't find anyone willing to adopt the cat, call the local Humane Society, or an animal rescue group. Avoid the pound and anywhere else that euthanizes animals. Kitty doesn't deserve a death sentence just because you are inconvenienced.
Have you already had him for 3 years? I am allergic to cats and dogs, have been my whole life, but it doesn't keep me from having, 3 dogs and 2 cats.
If this just started, I think you will build a tolerance to him, I did with all my animals. If you want to keep him, I would wait a couple more weeks and see how you feel, then make a decision.
If you end up giving him away, try placing an ad in the paper first, then you can meet the potential owners and know where he is going.
Good Luck!
DO NOT GIVE HIM UP!

Having a pet actually reduces your allergies unless you are deathly ill.

Take a deep breath of fur.
Deal with symptoms.

Repeat once a week until you get better.
How disappointing that you haven't tried to manage your allergies since you've had him 3 years and now suddenly you're allergic.so the cat has to go. Did you know that there are many ways to control the dander that causes cat allergies? Benadryl, Claritin, Allegra, and others work if you give them a chance and they won't make you drowsy. Have you tried these or is this just a way to conveniently get rid of the cat. I pity the kitty.

Oh well, at least Seattle gives some helpful tips. Hope someone wants your kitty more than you do.
We have an air purifier that settles cat dander out of the air (among other things) When my friends that are allergic to cats come to my house, they don't even know I have a cat.
Something to think about. Here's the site with info on it:
www.ecoquestintl.com/naturetec
Just a thought, when I got rid of my adult cat, I put and ad in the newspaper. I have no idea where you live, but if the cat is offered free, most newspapers put them in the absolutely free section, no charge for the ad. I found a great home for her and the lady still calls me every so often to let me know how she is doing. You may also want to try livedeal.com it's free as well.

Good luck.
There is a solution for your problem! Go to your doctor and tell him you need an allergy shot because of your cat. They do work! If you don't want to do that, and you have to get rid of him, then find someone you know personally to take him. I don't think many people are aware of this, but there are people out there who work for labs that do testing on animals and pose as someone who wants a pet for "their kids". They go to shelters or look in the paper for ads.
Yes you can get treated your allergys. But if you are looking for a new home for the kitty, you should mention what state you live in.
try working on your allergies, your cat is part of the family now and you made a commitment to him. look into getting your allergies sorted out first try everything as you would do that for one of your kids your cat is a kid that will never grow up but will allways show you he cares til the day he dies. he deserves a better effort on your part!
There are over the counter medications (Benadryl - antihistamine for itchy, watery eyes %26 Sudafed - gets rid of nasal congestion) that you can take to help with your allergies. If Sudafed doesn't work, you could try an over the counter nose spray.

However, if your allergies are really severe and you have a hard time breathing, go to your doctor and get a prescription.

I have currently have 2 kittens and am allergic as well. I was prescribed Flonase and that's helped immensely.

Also, over time your immune system DOES adjust and your allergies will get to the point to where they're not even an issue anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Your blog looks great. Many people suufer from pet allergy and cat allergy is one of the worse. www.allergiestocatsrelief.com helps people reduce the symptoms of cat allergy

    ReplyDelete