Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tips on controlling litter box odor?

I have 2 kittens and we live in an apartment. my bathroom is too small for the litter box, so its in a back corner of my living room. I use a covered litterbox with a little flap door to help contain odor. I scoop daily and change the litter every couple of days. i also add baking soda to the litter. is there ANYTHING else i can do? it stinks really bad right after they poop! does the stink decrease as they mature?
Answers:
A) consider what you're feeding them. What goes in determines what comes out.

B) The covered tray probably has urine and such stuck on it. Even if you can't see it, it's there.

C) Keep it covered means the air doesn't circulate well, so the odor will be there in the air and absorb into the plastic cover (I assume it's plastic)

Frequent changing and such is good.

Also consider this spray called Approach. My best friend uses it on her cats' box and it works wonders. It's got no harsh chemicals so it's safe for your cats, and you can spray the whole litter box container and the litter itself and it'll completely eliminate all the odor, and it won't come back until they go again. And when they do, just spray again when you scoop.

I use it on my dog and it was a big help housebreaking her.

Good luck!
it should but if not change the brand of litter they use
it gets worser as they get older.trust me i had 13 kitties at one time.u have to clean the box two times a day to get away the stench.it worked w/ me.i love all my 13 kitties.Shout out to my kitties:mr.wiggles, pepper, ally, mimosa, salt, socks, biggles, mo, boaty, whiskers, mr.kitty, mrs.kitty, and bing.
You might want to try some odor absorbing litter. That might help. Also, be sure to clean the boxes regularly along with changing the litter. Also, you might want to look at what you're feeding them. Some foods cause diarrhea which smells worse. You could experiemnt with the food and see if you can find something that doesn't cause diarrehea if that's a problem.
i have been using fresh step for my cat. it is really good. knocks out the smell. try it. it works
I use a combo of Fresh Step litter and Crystals (from Petsmart) and I have virtually no odor.
Try a higher quality food. The more good stuff, means less waste.

Also, once a week, empty out the litter and wash the pan with Nature's Miracle (or similar product) as the plastic pan can hold the smell.

I also bought a spray freshener that I put near the boxes, and it automatically sprays every 9/18/36 minutes (whichever you prefer)

I'm with the others, I recommend fresh step! I have 5 cats, and that is by FAR the best litter I have ever used!
It sounds like you're cleaning properly. We have 3 cats and 2 boxes. We kept changing brands until we found one that worked. Odor Eaters brand works well for us.
Haahhha no not really..well my kitty's didnt. Put an air freshner right beside the litter box and make sure your cat is on a good high quality food like Natural Balance. Ever since i fed my kitties that it hasnt smelt as bad but i mean come on its POOOO its gonna stink a little LOL . Good Luck
I find that if I leave my box uncovered it doesn't smell as much, because then the stuff can dry out and clump better.

Be sure not to put too much litter in it, only about an inch deep. After you scoop always put in some fresh litter on top and then change the whole thing weekly.

Another thing is proper diet, if you feed your cat dry cat food they have to drink a lot of water to digest it properly, this can make the box smell worse. If fed a proper diet cats will drink little to no water, but this means you have to feed canned food.

And no, I don't think the smell ever decreases. But once they get older they may learn how to cover it better. Poop doesn't stink when it's buried!!

Also - I've added a whole box of baking soda one time and I swear it didn't help at all
The smell is just going to be there. Get used to it or get rid of the cats.
I second Nikki's comment about a better food. Most grocery store foods are 2/3 corn, not digestible or nutritious for the kittens.
You don't have to have "kitten" food, any good quality high protein diet will mean more of the food will be going into the blood stream and nourishing the kittens instead of coming out the other end.

My cats have home-prepared raw meat diet and they have very little waste because that it the natural diet for the cat and the food is used for nutrition.
every time you change the litter, add in a box of baking soda.

we had 12 cats at a time(most outside) and that made a huge difference
Use a small electric air cleaner with a charcoal filter near the box. This should help.
I read somewhere that you are suppose to have one litterbox for every cat and then an extra one. I have two adult cats, and recently bought a second box (both with cover %26 door), and I have noticed a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment