Thursday, May 7, 2009

Smelly Poo?

I usually feed my cat whatever is onsale at the supermarket on the highend side, the low end stuff is bad not just for cat's but for people too, it's produces more poop and smells worst. But even in the high end (dry food that is), different brand names produces different level of smells. Which dry end food have you tried that 1) produces the least smell and 2) produced the worst smell?
Answers:
Hi there.many of the commercially available cat food products sold in supermarkets contain corn, corn meal which ferment as it broken down within the digestive system leading to very stinky poo. However, this also depends on the animal's genetics as well. Like humans, when two people eat the very same thing one person's business may stink to high heaven moreso than another (we can't compare our own poo since we'd obviously be biased.) I have two cats who's genetic makeup are quite different from one another (F1 Bengal --1/2 wild %26 1/2 domestic -- and Abyssinian). They both eat the same identical high premium quality foods yet the Bengal's poo is so strong it would make a good substitute for chloroform, where the Aby's isn't so bad and is very tolerable.

Some of the high protein cat foods (which contains no corn based products or byproducts) found only at specialty pet stores such as Innova EVO, Life's Abundance, Nature's Variety Prairie may help minimize the stinky calling cards, but again it truly depends on the cat's genetic makeup. They are quite expensive compared to the supermarket brands, but if your intended goal is to lower the overall gas chamber effect you may need to experiment which works best.
I think you should stop eating your cat's food and then stop smelling its poo all together
I got a kitten 5 months ago and have never noticed a smell and have even been told by guests that they can't tell I have a cat. He eats Purina Kitten Chow and the litter box has a removable lid to keep the smell in. I use Good Mews kitty litter, it is awesome! It is not powdery, looks like little pellets, and you can flush it in small doses, so if you wanted you could clean it and flush the waste daily. We just clean it all out about once every 1 1/2 weeks. Both are available at my local grocery store.
Nutro produces the least smell.
Purina the worst.
Iams Cat Food is a top shelf cat food. Cats get everything they need and their manure is firm, small and much less odor.
Try hill prescription diet I/D and stop feeding him grocery store crap
all cat's poo smells bad..i love cats but i hate their poos
O' I No What You Mean By Smelly. Because I Have 2 Dogs A Chow Mix With German Sheppard And A Blue Pitt
Hey the day you or your cat poops with a smell of flowers call me and let us all know here at yahoo about that experience. Last time I checked I ate at a very fancy restaurant and my poop smelled as bad or worst than when I ate a doublecheese burger from the dollar menu at Mcdonalds.
If I were you, I'd probably take my cat to the vet. I feed my cat Science Diet and he stinks up the bathroom.My vet gave him a shot and it took care of the smell and everything.
Since I started feeding my cat canned food, his stool is really compact, less then back on dry food, and smells a lot less - canned food contents are better used up by the cat's digestive system, so the smell comes primarily from the scent glands in the anus, which is not so bad as some of the smells that come about when the poop is runnier.

Good point about no low-end, there is some really nasty stuff there.
never had a problem with dry food but i would imagine the cheap stuff canned cat food all kinds make their poo stink the worse

No comments:

Post a Comment