Thursday, May 7, 2009

so which one is it for your cats and why? inside, outside, or both?

I keep my 2 kitties strictly inside for various reasons. there are soooooo many bad things that can happen to them while there out there roaming around unsupervised. so which is it for yours? please tell why? I'm just curious! Thanks!
Answers:
I definately agree with you. I wouldn't want my cat outside unsupervised. I would be a nervous wreck while she was gone. And I live in an apartment building, on the top floor, so it would be difficult for her to get in and out :)
if u cant handle keeping them fenced in ur backyard, or supervising them while outside, it is best that the cat is indoor.
I have 4 cats all inside for the same reason as you .
Inside for the same reasons.I have one kittie who has never been outside really except for that occasional couple of minutes when he escapes.lol We have no yard and one of them even got caught in a cat trap at one point, so we chose to keep them indoor. Lots of issues with that though, kids don't want to keep the box clean, etc. lol.it's rough
Inside. it is so much safer. I love my cats too much to send them outside to get killed or harmed.
I keep both of my cats inside as well. We live by a road and I don't want my cats to be hit by a car. Also, they are both male cats and I don't want them to get into territorial fights with other cats because they are put at risk for several diseases, including feline AIDS. I think they are safer indoors and they don't seem to have any problems with it. I love my cats and want to make sure they are safe. Also, indoor cats live longer.
I have three cats and they are all outdoor cats. Yes, bad things can happen to kitty once she's outside but I feel it's not natural for a cat to be kept inside. My oldest cat is 10 years old and I've been told by many people that it rare for an outdoor cat, Especially since I live in the country where I've had coyote, fox and javalina roaming around my yard, (yes, javalina, coyote and fox like to eat cats). She's a tough ol' cat and I've seen her fight off fox and pitbulls when she has to. She's really mean as hell when she's protecting her babies!
I have two outdoor cats and three indoor. The first outdoor cat (Kepler) followed me home from the pub and decided to stay (I had two others at the time). The second one (Newton) escaped outside this summer, decided he liked it, and now spends a lot of time outdoors. Both are vaccinated and neutered, and tend to pretty much stick around the house. It is more dangerous for them, but I live on a fairly quiet street so I don't worry about them too much.
All six of my cats are indoors for all the same reasons you gave.

They are my babies, and I want them safe.
I have one cat and one dog and the cat is an inside cat because there's just to many bad things that can happen to it, even though she's been declawed in the front and can't have babies, anything can happen, when I was younger I had a cat and it got out so many times, it ended up getting pregnant and getting diseased, her and the babies died a long time ago, hey it happens, but yeah we keep our cat inside, lol!
I just think its kind of against their nature to be inside..yeah they live longer but I don't think its necessarily a happier existence..I first got a cat because of mice.I also had a fish pond and felt it was almost mean to not let him play with them..I've seen a lot of indoor cats that were grossly over weight, mine going in and out have always been very healthy.granted they don't live 17 years.but, they are happy. I lost one as an adolescent cat to a car..I had to one down at about 13.he was the patriarch and we honestly didn't notice wat was wrong until he didn't go up the stairs one day..I picked him up and he had lost so much weight, the way he acted reminded me of my best friends mom when she was ready to leave us.I have to say the animal shelter was wonderful as we held him and helped him go.he was buried in the yard with many tears..13 is pretty good for an indoor outdoor cat. The last one we lost was the other day, 10 is still good for cat..car again..but he made it home .. and.I felt him walk across the back of the couch last night..guess he hasn't quite left yet!
all my ctas r inside cats. We live on a state highway, so car+kitty=SPLAT! and the wood is in our back yard, so we have coyote problems. not to mention, i have NO idea how to keep an animal in the yard. if i ever let my cat or dog just roam free, they would never come back. i love my kitties, so theyll stay inside
My 3 cats wander in and out of the house. They Hate being couped up in side all the time!! What about when YOU go outside unsupervised? There can be just as many dangers. How would you like it if you weren't able to go out side? Cats can fend for them selves. Our cats do.
Our cat was adopted as a stray. So, she began life as an outdoor kitty. When she dropped kittens on our back step, we brought her and her babies inside. Now, she sleeps inside during the day, but meows at the front door to be let out after dark. She comes home first thing in the morning for breakfast. Guess it depends on kitty and how they've been raised.
I have two cats they come in and out but its not save for a cat to wonder around out side if they don't have there shots and get hit by a car I live in the county if I don't let my cat pumpkin out side she will scratch me
My cat is 14 years old and is a strictly indoor cat. He's allowed to go into the back yard for supervised trips but that's it. He was born an alley cat and has Bartonella, a bacteria that's generally held in check by the immune system, but that can attack the white blood cells and spleen and kill the cat if the immune system becomes compromised. Last summer he had complications from oral surgery and I had to force feed him every hour to keep his strength up. Not fun for either of us. I keep him inside so he can't catch anything that might lead to a problem, and also so that there's no danger of him spreading the disease to other cats. He's a happy cat, and spoiled rotten.
2 cats.both indoors! They are alot safer inside an will live longer, healthier lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment