Thursday, May 7, 2009

Some 'play biting' -- should I worry?

Every now and then our 7-month-old kitten will bite a bit during play or petting. This rarely seems to be a "stop" request, it's never at all hard, and isn't accompanied by a hiss or effort to go away. She's into doing it a few times while licking us, too.

While it's not even bordering on painful, I wonder how cute it'll be in a year, and generally walk away when it happens. Or tap her on the nose if it came as a less-than-affectionate surprise.

Her adoptive father, on the other hand, has no problem with it, and will use his hand as a bitable, scratchable, cat toy.

I note that this problem seems to be common among men. (See "Jaspurr's Dad Teaching Bad Habits" on http://cats.about.com/cs/behavioralissue. %26c)

Can she figure out who it's okay to bite and not bite? Will it lead to problems later on if we let her bite her father? Is it at all reasonable to think that said nips will always be the pressure-free painless things they are now?
Answers:
I have had many many cats lol and still do and in my experience play biting is something ALL cats do.

I also try and teach that "Gentle" concept and most see to understand they can not bite hard. Usually if it is biting/chewing/licking action it may be a teething issue. I usually keep some small stuffed animal around for them to drag around and "fight with" and for our house yes they learn who they can bite and who they can't.

He should try covering his hand with a sock or something like it so that she learns to bite the sock not your hand.

Good luck!
Quick question: What kind of cat? Manx? Siamese? Do you know? Most animals like to play-bite. It's okay as long as you control the degree of bitting. If it gets to be painful tap the animal to let them know it was too much. In this way you are basically setting limits for the animal.
My husband's cat (he had her before we met) play bites and it can be quite painful. She'll bite my ankles and legs and my hands. Just as you described, she doesn't do it maliciously, but it sure hurts when the cat is an adult. She has broken the skin a few times. So ask your husband to help you teach her what she can bite and what she can't!!
She is still very young and is experimenting and learning so at this time I don't think it would be a problem. I think she will grow out of it and be OK. I'm not sure about the teazing though because she might grow up thinking that its OK to bite. Good luck.
No you shouldn't worry that much its only young it will grow out of it
one of my cats does this too.mainly in the mornings when he wakes me up and gets petted. this might sound weird but ive heard it from lots of people including vets. all the cats doing when he "nibbles" or bites you very softly..is kissing you. thats the only way they know how.the cats just showing you affection. do what i do and kiss him back.the human way lol
I really don't think it's anything to worry about myself. Our 4 year old cat does the same thing. She loves to wrestle with my husband and she'll sometimes bite on his hands while doing this. Also, when we're petting her, if we stop before she wants us to, she'll bite and pull our hand back. I think it's normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment