Thursday, May 7, 2009

Soft Claws for cats?

Wouldn't that kit require a needle and stitch for the owner who puts this damn thing on each individual cat claw!? Who thought this up and what are your comments on it?
Answers:
No, these are simply nail caps that are applied like woman's acrylic nails with a glue. They come with the glue and are relatively easy to put on. www.softpaws.com
I think that they are silly and have never used them in the 8 years I have Groomed Animals. I think they are a waste of hard earned money and just plain silly. Just keep your cats nails trimmed and they won't scrath things up and it won't cost a fortune. And no you don't have to use needles and stitches just the fake nails and super glue stuff. Like getting your nails done at the salon.
You're right that applying them to some cats might prove a pain.and perhaps dangerous.

I've never used these because I've never had to. And I don't recommend them to people unless it's as a last resort because training the cat isn't working. When applied, they don't teach the cat to not claw, they simply prevent them from doing damage.and I believe people should at least try every method of training possible before going this route. Not to mention I've heard of cats getting hung up from them being on their nails.

But it IS a good alternative to declawing. If someone is having a hard time applying them, they could always try wrapping the cat in a towel, or get a Klaw Kontrol Bag:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr.
I've used them on my husband's beastie. I wrap him in a towel first, and my husband helps. We get out of it relatively unscathed. The cat gets used to them and all is well in our universe.
I thought they were SUCH a great idea when I first read about them, and promptly bought a box of it. That was a year ago, and that box remains unopened. It seemed such a wonderful thing online, but now that I have it, it seems absolutely absurd! First of all, my cat HATES being handled (does love that cuddling, though), and just having to give her worm medicine was a three-person task in itself. Same with trimming her claws.

Basically, my boyfriend and I have surrendered and now she roams free, claws intact and uncapped. But we still love her. %26lt;3
I think that they are the best invention ever. They work great for me, and my dreamy kitty doesn't mind me putting them on his paws.
Ahh shoot.just pull the claws out. The stew tastes better without 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment