Thursday, May 7, 2009

Someone told me male cats shouldn't be given dry food?

She said it can cause crystals to orm in their kidneys. Someone else once told me though that adult cats can't have too much soft food because they won't drink enough water if they do. My male is currently eating dry Royal Canin Siamese formula, should I change his food or is the other person wrong? My cat is a neutered 3 1/2 year old male Siamese who weighs 25 lbs, but he is a big cat and it's not all fat on him. I love my cat and wants what is best for him.
Answers:
Holy cow, are you sure he's a cat %26 not a toyota? I thought mine was huge.

Male cats are prone to getting urinary tract infections, and other problems so this is probably why there are sites on the net saying to not feed your male dry food. You need to feed your male dry food because wet will rot his teeth. I feed a combination of both %26 mix extra water in with the wet to make sure my little guy is getting enough water.

I'd also suggest getting him used to your brushing his teeth because I didn't when mine was younger %26 it's insane how much it costs to have the vet do it. %26 it's a catch 22, I need to feed him soft food for other issues he has. but it rots his teeth %26 turns them brown with tartar %26 plaque. So be wary of an all soft food diet.
If you buy a good brand of cat food he will be ok. I feed my male IAMS hair ball formula. He is 11 and has never been sick a day in his life. My cat is a purebred Birman and weighs 16 lbs. He also is a big cat and has very little fat on him.
Instead of just listening to what "other" people say, research this yourself and get all the facts straight out.
Go to wikipedia.com or simply do a yahoo.com or google.com search for the information you need.
Best of luck.
Some mail cats are prone to bladder infections and high ASH catfood can trigger a infection.
Biscuits are not bad for cats. If they are not given biscuits, their teeth do not get cleaned properly, and plaque and tartar builds up in the teeth. This, very quickly, leads to gum disease, and then you will have allsorts of problems, least of all, a cat with very smelly breath.

Don't listen to what people tell you. Since working in animal rescue, I have found out that you have to take what people say with a rather large pinch of salt.

The biscuits you are feeding seem to be fine.
My cat was terribly sick and dehydrated (and received an enema because of it ) and my vet told me to begin him on wet science diet formula once a day and maintain the dry food avaliable at all times. He said the moist kinds will help with constipation as well as kidney problems that most male cats will eventually die from.
Whoever told you that are speaking rubbish. It is quite alright to give your cat dried food, but make sure he has moist food aswell.
I've heard that too about the crystals. Just make sure he has fresh water available all the time. I vary my cats diet, it's mostly dry food, every few days I give him some canned food mixed in with it.
Dry cat food will not harm a cat at all. Where I work we actually recomend dry food over wet food. A national name brand is just fine for your pets, although I would advise you put your siamese on a weight loss diet. 25lbs is way too much for a cat to weigh. Even though it's not all fat, I'm sure some of it is. You may want to visit your Veterinarian, they have prescription diets that they can put your cat on. Where I work we use Science diet, and we see great results with that product.
Crystals don't generally form in kidneys in animals. They form in the bladder in animals. Crystals are cause by various things, and can occur in both acidic and alkaline environments. So that being said, if your cat ever gets a crystal or stone in his bladder, your vet will tell you what kind, and what diet to change him to. Canned food not only causes them to drink less water, which is bad for kidneys, but causes more plaque and tartar to build up on their teeth. Dry food builds up less, and can help reduce some tartar caused by wet food, but will eventually cause tartar and plaque build up on its own too. Feeding your cat any high quality cat kibble is fine until a problem occurs. There are several over the counter and prescription urinary diets for cats. You shouldn't feed these until you know what your cat's urinary system is prone to doing. If you are seriously concered with this, have a yearly urinalysis added to your yearly vet checkup. Females are just as likely to get crystals, but since their urethra are larger, they pass them more easily. That means females don't have as many clinical symptons as males, and are often undiagnosed. The owners never know there is a problem because the females can pee them out easier.
I have three cat at home and I never give can food to my babies. Dry food is the best for your cats teeth, gums and digestive system. Royal Canine is a very high quality cat food and if you check the amount of ash compare to other brands you know that you are doing him a favor buying that kind of food.
He is a bit overweight, but stop all can and give him treats low in fat or for seniors. Keep the good work and stop listening to everybody's advice, use your common sense..
She is right. Dry food is too dehydrating and cats simply do not drink enough water to compensate for that lack of moisture.

I have prepared an afternoon's reading for you. At www.littlebigcat. com Dr. Jean Hovfe has many articles on cat nutrition:

"Selecting a Good Commercial Pet Food"
"Urinary Tract Disorders in Cats"
"Water Water Everywhere, but What's a Cat to Drink?"
"What Cats Should Eat"
"Why Cats Need Canned Food"
"Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats"
"Easy Homemade Diets for Cats and Dogs"
"Switching Foods"
I was always told by my vets to buy low ash and magnesium dry food for my boys to avoid kidney and other urinary tract problems. I have followed this advice and never had a problem with a male cat in 30 years of cat ownership.

All my cats eat Iams.
well who ever told you that was wrong because you can give male and feamale cats can eat dryed food
NO cat that has been sterilized, really, should have a straight dry food diet. The phosphorus clogs up their urinary tracts and, yes, crystals (like our kidney stones) do form in their tiny kidneys, and it is a very, VERY painful procedure to have corrected. and very painful to endure (they can die if untreated) during and after. Please make sure they always have lots of fresh water! They have no way of speaking or relating to us that they're in discomfort or pain. They DO need an occasional hard food treat to clean their teeth (tartar build-up and soft food that stays between their teeth/molars).

By the way, I used to have two tuxedoed cats: one was gray and white and the other one was a very huge black and white tuxedoed. One weighed 19 pounds and was considered a large cat but he was tiny next to the other who weighed 37 pounds (yes, thirty seven pounds) and attacked anyone who went near my daughter! They both learned to use the toilet. The larger one learned to retrieve objects and bring back to me (YES, he was a CAT). He was huge and not fat at all, according to the vet at Bide-a-Wee; he reached up to my knee caps, the size of a small medium dog (28" waist); there was a photo of him at Bide-a-Wee Hospital, in NYC during the mid-80s. My two tuxedoed and my little black Persian have since passed on to the Rainbow Bridge; I miss them terribly.

Speak with your vet if you have any doubts. That's your very best bet. Good luck and best wishes; enjoy your furry friend.
Iv never heard that. hmm. I have no idea? But if that does happend take him to a vet they can get surgery for if.

No comments:

Post a Comment