Thursday, May 7, 2009

sneezing cat. do cats have allergies?

We have 2 cats--both are indoor only (they're 2 1/2 years old %26 littermates). The male cat has started sneezing a lot lately and I have no idea why. He also seems to cough, almost daily, but I'm not sure if he is coughing up hairballs or this is a symptom of something else ( no hair comes up when he does this).
The sneezing has been going on for at least a month or 2. And the coughing has been going on since we adopted him at 6 months old from a rescue organization--although it is a lot more frequent now. I gave it time to see if this was something that would pass (the sneezing), but it hasn't. I just assumed that he was coughing up hairballs, but now I am worried about that, too.
Our female cat doesn't have any of these symptoms at all. They both share the same litter box and food %26 water dish.. So if it were a cold or something, I would assume that the female cat would have caught it by now.
Answers:
He could allergies or possible a form of asthma which could be causing the cough.
Since you other cat is fine i don't think it's a chest cold but have the vet check him out.
but they do have allerigies
in a word, Yes. Mine does. I had the vet check him out and he is allergic to ragweed.
Cats can have allergies as well as dogs and other animals. Her symptoms have been going on to long and you need to take her to a vet very soon. That is the only way you will know for sure what's the matter with her. Even if she just had allergies she would still need some treatment to make her feel better.
yes cats do have allergies just like humans. they can sneeze uncontrollably or might just have a mild cough. check the litterbox becuz it might be the scent of cleaner ur usin when u wash it out
Pets can have allergies, just like us.
Yes! Mine is allergic to grass. He gets weekly shots.
Yup.Sounds like has a cold that's turning into something. I'd suggest to bring him to the vet. I'm sure it's something worthy to check out. Don't want to wait until it's too late. It's probably the food. My cat would vomit every time when she ate something that has fish in it. Could be the litter that bothers his lungs. Or it could be something harmless, but just to be safe, bring him to a vet for a check up.
I has this happen with my very young cat and I was thinking oh its just dust or a hairball but, (and thank goodness) I finally took him into the vet after some prolonged sneezing fits and some gakking. Turned out he was dehydrated, (which was un noticeable to me) he needed to be given fluids and antibiotics; he had a pretty severe respiratory infection. I would advise you to get your cat to a vet. quickly. good luck
Yes, most definately cats can allergies. They can have skin or respiratory allergies. Unfortunately, it is very expensive for shots to maintain the allergies if they are respiratory as it sounds like your cat's allergies are, the price for continuing shots can be phenominal. There is another thing you can try that worked for my mother's allergic cat: Vacuum daily, preferrably with a vaccuum that has a Hepa filter. Get an Air Cleaning machine.yes these too are expensive but you could get lucky and find one at a flea market and the cost is much less than the shots. Switch his/her water to distilled water, it is more pure. Those are about the only suggestions I can give you. I worked as an Animal Technician in a vets office and I know the shots work well but are so darn expensive and if I recall correctly, you have to take them every 3 months? for more. Good luck and I hope your kitty feels better.poor little guy.
Vicki
Cats do have allergies. I have a cat that used to be indoor/outdoor. Found out she was allergic to grass. Indoor only now.

I have two other indoor cats at the moment that are sneezing constantly and runny eyes. They have an upper resporitory infection that requires antibiotics. I would take it to the vet to see if it does need medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment