Friday, May 21, 2010

Training a kitten to a new litter box.?

We rescued a kitten two days before we went on a long [6 week] trip in our truck camper. The kitten was very good about "going" in its litter box, but now that we are back home the kitten won't go in the litter box in the back porch. She will only go it we put her back in the truck camper and then she will go in the litter box there. I have used that litter box in the house, but she still refuses to use it.

What should I do?
Answers:
what a shame,sounds like kitty totally took to camper van,now confused at change again in its young life,i breed Siamese and if i get things like this happen,i take a day or two off work,put more than one litter box in house,put some of its mess for scent in box and as daft as it sounds fuss kitten and play with it around box and keep popping it in,petting it .
some come round quick,some no,put don't panic ,kitty will come round,they always do,and a cat doesn't like to be dirty,its not in there nature!confine it to one room,does help or kitty might decide to do it somewhere very wrong.
If she wets on the floor take it and put it in the litter box, that is what I did to train my kittens, your cat probably just isn't used to the litter box in the house and isn't reacting to change much. I wish all the best on you kitten!
Well here is something that has always worked for me. Keep the kitten in the bathroom for a week, with a litter box. Make sure there arent any dirty clothes laying around or anything like that. When I did this, it worked every time. I would try to keep the litter box in the bathroom also. You're little kitten is prob. just confused as to where it can go.
Once every 30 minutes or so have someone put her in the litter box you want her to use. I usuallyl take a cats front legs and make them do digging motions in the litter. They usually get the idea. You may have to do this for a day or two. She odviously felt safe in the truck. Once she becomes accustomed to her new home she will probably use the litter box freely. Good luck! Nance
Rubbing the cat's paws in the box will help release some of the scent from the litter and also put your cats scent in the box. Worked for me.
well.. try putting the litter box in a common place and every time after your cat eats put it in the box. do that every time after it eats and after it goes on the floor .. plus it mighnt help if you put some of its "droppings" in the box thats what we did.
It will use the box eventually it just has to get used to it. My kittens did not even know what a litter box was and used the carpet on my floor.I did everything I could to try and get them to use the litter box but one day they discovered the litter box and started doing their business there.and have been ever since!
Not sure if this will help you. But when we got our new kitten ( a stray) I actually placed her in her litter box EVERYTIME I went to the bathroom. So when she saw me " go" she folowed and went to. Now everytime I have to use the bathroom she follows me and goes in her box.

No comments:

Post a Comment