Friday, May 21, 2010

Training my cat.?

I live in a failrly small apartment, so there's no real good place for the litter box. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I got really sick of the smell and threw the litter box out onto the patio and every few hours I'll let my cat our there to use it. Is there anyway that I can train my cat to go to the patio door whenever he needs to use the litter box (I know how to train a dog to do this. but motivating the cat is a little trickier). I know this sounds like a weird question. but if people can train cats to use the toilet, then why not train him to go to the door? Any suggestions? :)
Answers:
I think the cat will probably realize on his own eventually, that meowing at the door will get it opened. I know my cats tell me when they want fed, and I didnt' train them to do that! LOL

Since you mentioned toilet training. why not give that a try. I've been tempted. but with three cats, including one who's disabled. it's not really an option for me. :(
You cannot train a cat to do anything unless it wants too. My cat goes outside. If the door is locked, he will just come in my room and bawl untill i get up and open the door.
I had the same problem with my cat. You should scratch its feet in the litter box then scratch its feet on the door. Most likely it will start going to the door on its own
If a cat knows where his litter is, he'll let you know when he needs to use it. (In most cases)
BTW, we don't train cats, they train us.

Or you could try a different litter, I have tried many, and have always gone back to MAXX scoopable (I live in an apartment with 3 cats, and I can't smell anything. Also, feed him better quality food, he won't stink so much.
Well, good luck with it. Training cats is pretty difficult and you don't want litterbox problems in the apartment. Cats are not dogs so your expectations may be out of line here.

I have heard of people who have litterboxes in the basement, etc. and this seems a lot to ask of a cat. What will happen at night if the cat has to go and there is no one there to open the door for it? I think you should find a place inside and keep the box clean so that it does not offend you - believe me, the cat will be offended by a dirty box sooner than you will.

With winter coming on I also think it's rather like humans having to use an outhouse and that's no fun in the cold.
I guess in time it will work, but I hope you don't live in a place where it snows or you will have another job on your hands, getting rid of the snow so the litter box can stay outside. I also live in an apt. %26 we keep our cat's litter box in the bathroom, I empty it of the droppings everyday
%26 then change it every other week, maybe you need
a better brand of cat litter, we use fresh step.

good luck, whatever you do..

No comments:

Post a Comment