Friday, May 21, 2010

Umm. I have a male cat. Well this morning we had the "rubber chicken eating" incedent. He seems fine now.

I went to the vet today. Hes a male. Hes 6-7 months old. Hes a gray tabby, unfixed. Not microchipped- YET.

I was wondering. Any advice for cats?
Games? (I dont want to buy cat toys so can you give me suggestions for make-at-home games/toys?) Thanks a mill.
Answers:
Remember that cat toys you buy at the store are geared exactly toward your cat's entertainment/excersize needs. Even if you don't buy them, take your cue from the kinds that they have at your petstore. Most are relatively easy to copy the idea with your own materials without spending more money on buying the toy itself.
Let's see - String provides hours of amusement. Probably the cheapest cat toy around. Just keep an eye on him so he doesn't ingest it.
Even just your arms and legs can be used for playing, though it may result in a few scratches.
The best one I've heard about/seen is saving a big cardboard box from any large purchase. If you buy a large product at any time, save the package. You can cut a small hole big enough for the cat in the side. Then place a smaller box inside and cut a few holes in that. Keep adding boxes and passages inside of the large box until there's loads of little networks.Also cutting small holes in the side of the largest box, just big enough for a paw is amusing. Arms are thrust out of the holes and used as attacking holes. Pretty sturdy entertainment, there.
Avoid toys that have sharp edges or parts that your kitten might swallow
Choose soft toys that bounce
Just remember to watch that he doesn't swallow anything or in any other way hurt himself. Have fun!
My cat loves having a balled up piece of paper to chase around.

What is a "rubber chicken eating" incident?
paper grocery bags, boxes and watted up paper!! they always seem to like these!
Um..why don't you want to buy cat toys? They're really not that expensive. And some cats are cheap dates..my male has never liked the expensive toys we've bought for him, just the little toy mice. And those are real cheap.

A feather on a string would work, just make sure you don't leave string lying around when you're not around. Cats can eat string and it becomes tangled in their intestines. My cat loves batting around pens, pen caps, pencils, balled up pieces of paper, bottle caps..you name it, he'll toss it around.
you can use string
I would get a bunch of ribbons and strings and tie on random things i would find at home including bells and small teddybears and such. You can tie the ribbons above a doorway (make sure they're long enough to interest him but not so long they touch the floor). And make sure its strong enough to handle a cat pulling onto it! All cats I've had seem to love that.
I also would play fetch with my cat by making small balls with aluminium foil paper (not small enough for them to swallow).
Other than that they pretty much like anything that moves and that they can chase, so you can tease them with anything and make them try catch it.Have fun!
Definitely get him a scratching post, whether he has claws or not. If you can afford it, then get one of those tall, milti-level structures with a bed on top, and dangling fuzzy balls off each platform. If you can't splurge on one of those (they're about $160) then go for the wedge-shaped, correogated cardboard (about 12" on one side) and rub catnip into the cardboard. Those cost about $10, and they last for a long time.
As for cat toys, you can make them out of anything. Most cats would rather play with 'trash' anyway. Boxes, bags, wadded-up paper, shoelaces, feathers, cat-teasers (a 'wand' with a string, feathers, pom-pom, or anything attached to the end). I once had a cat who loved marbles. She used to hide it in my shoe, dig it out, play with it, then drop it in the shoe again and repeat. Another cat I had loved a cueball I had. My parents' cats love to play with (and eventually eat) green olives with pimentos. They lick the juice off, roll them around, and eventually eat them.
I know you said you didn't want to buy toys, but the mice are very inexpensive. I bought a package for my cat. I only needed one. At first I would wriggle the mouse around until he attacked it. Later I tied a thin elastic to the mouse and would throw it. When the cat chased it, I would retrieve it. In no time my cat had learned to fetch. He would bring me a mouse to throw right up til he grew old and died.
On the other hand cats do love that crumpled up paper too-don't even try to read! But, they'll never fetch you a book.
Oh this is so fun. The plastic ring off from milk containers or the caps an old sock rolled into a ball, empty film containers with pennies in them, or all by themselves. Small boxes like cereal boxes with treats inside. large boxes to climb in and around.cellophane tied with a string and tied to a door just a little above his reach so he has to grab for it.A small ball of yarn.Also a small investment you can find for no more than 5.00 is a laser pointer lights on or off he will have a blast.Empty thread spools too, Just about anything that rolls is fun for cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment