Monday, May 24, 2010

Watching a friends pets and one died how to break news?

My boyfriend and I are watching a friends farm. We have watched this same place several times before without any major incidences. She has two horses, two dogs, chickens, two cats and a peacock. Well I went out to saddle one of the horsed today and saw that one of her cats died. She is on vacation in Europe and I do not want to tell her over the phone that one of her cats died but also its something that is hard to break because I know how much she loves all of her animals. My friend is a doctor (a pathologist) as well as practiced surgery so she understands death and has lost pets before (not under my watch though). We buried the cat, which was fairly old about 13 or so and it looked like it had just gone to sleep. But I need some advice on the best way to tell her and when. She will be back next Monday.
Answers:
you HAVE to tell her, otherwise she would probably look for him thinking he ran away, etc. it is for peace of mind.
BUT wait until she gets back, otherwise you could ruin her vacation :)
good luck, i know exactly how it feels.. :(
Hearing that one of your cats died is not easy,but tell her in person.Offer her the comforting thought theat it died peacefully,lived a long and happy life.Show her where you burried it,and that's it,it's not your fault..
since it had been an old cat, and your friend should understand. You shouldn't hold the news from her. I hated it when my bird died and no one told me. I felt even more mad. So tell her soon, but be very careful and affectionet. Sorry about the cat! and good luck- hope i help.
I think about this every time I go out of town and have to leave my pets with someone. I would definitely not want to hear about it until I get home. Then once I got home, I would want them to tell me as soon as I walk in the door.

Just say welcome home, unfortunately I have some bad news and didn't want to ruin your vacation. "Fluffy" passed away and we took care of burying her in the yard.

Hopefully it was a natural death, but if not, you'd have to tell them what happened as well.
Honesty is always the best way to go. Just tell her about the cat and how you found it. I am sure you have done your best if she has asked you several times to look after her beloved pets in the past. Why would she be upset with you?
Just sit her down and say, " I came out thursday (or whateverday it was) and saw *the cats name* outside. I went over there and saw he was dead. I didn't know how to break this news to you but here is the easiest way. He is buried *wherever you buried him* and i am very sorry about your loss. I hope you will forgive me for this. I didn't hurt you cat and i really didn't do anything. I will help you get through this.
she'll understand just say."I am sorry he passed away"
Honestly I would tell her the next time you talk to her, when she gets home, she may be upset to find out that you kept it from her.
well maybe you can tell that person in a good way
maybe you could tell her on the last day of her vacation or when she is on the way home that way she can prepare herself and wont be so upset when she actually gets home
Tell her now. It will not ruin her vacation and she has the right to know something she has loved is gone. It is her right to know, and the cat should be remembered. She is a grown woman with a career in medicine so don't protect her, let her know ASAP.
Be honest with her, when she gets back. I would wait to tell her, unless she asks. she's on a trip of a lifetime and that would put a damper on the trip.
Once when I was taking care of my friend's farm and all the animals, her father's dog killed one of her cats. It was his fault and I wasn't even there, but I still felt responsible. It ended up that he told her, but I was ready to if I saw her first.

Tell her in person, look into her eyes and make sure she knows how sorry you are. Make sure she also knows that it looked like she just went to sleep - it'll give her some peace knowing that she probably didn't suffer.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment