Monday, May 24, 2010

Vets or experienced cat owners only please.?

I'm afriad that my kitten is very ill. I went to the vet twice worried about her. I told him there was blood in her stool and that she had been coughing last week. There hadn't been any more blood, but the coughing was worse so I took her again today and he told me she had allergies. Just a few minutes ago she vomited under my bed and there was a lot of bloody/mucusy stool in the litter box. She was very lethargic and after she used the box I am so worried. Please tell me any possible ailments this might be, the progression of the diseases and what I can to do help her until I can take her back to the vet in the morning. It's 11:33 here.. and I don't plan on sleeping tonight. She's since become a bit more playful. She's 2 months old and she has been dewormed, and as far as I know, she has had the proper vaccinations. Who knows with the guy I'm working with now.
Please help!
Answers:
I know this sounds gross, but if there is bloody, mucousy stool in her litterbox, you need to take that sample to the vet. Just use a sandwich bag or, even some plastic wrap. Scoop out the bloody stool and seal it up. Refrigerate it until you get to the vet. If she has bloody mucousy stool, and is vomitting, there is something wrong.

If this vet can't give you any reasonable answer, then try another vet. Some of them get very good practices going and get complacent. Some of them favor one kind of animal over another. Seen it happen. My vet's license plate is personalized and reads "Kitty DR". He is a great vet. Does wonderful work for badly injured and abandoned dogs in our area, but cats are his personal favorite.
try another vet
Well, if she is becoming playful then it could be something as simple as eating something wrong, but IF you are so worried
that you cant sleep.. I would recommend an emergency vet.
Most cities have them. Look in the yellow pages. These urgent
care type of animal hospitals are open when vets are closed.

Also, I recommend a DIFFERENT vet. Get a second opinion.
Ask people you know who have animals where they take their animals.

I switched vets after 10 years because my vet wasnt giving me answers that made me happy. This animal is like your kid.
Would you keep taking your kid to a doctor that didnt give you
answers?
I would take her to an emergency pet vet.


Good Luck.
I would definitely suggest going back to the vet as soon as you can. Take a stool sample with you. The cough very well could be allergies or even a little kitty cold. Vomiting and diarrhea is somewhat common in kittens since their digestive systems are still developing and anything different can upset them. I think some blood in the stool is fairly common in kittens too. I have a 6 month old kitten who had blood in his stool off and on for several weeks after I got him.he's fine (in fact, he is staring at me right now, wondering why I am 'talking' about him!!). Kittens also seem lethargic off and on. It's just when they are going through a growing spurt. When my kitten was about 4 months old, he did almost nothing but sleep for about 2 or 3 days.I was worried until I realized he was teething (getting his 'big kitty' teeth). I hope this helps you through the night.I know what it's like to be worried about a kitty or dog. Good luck.let me know how things go at the vet.
Vomit and bloody and mucous stool usually means a gastro intestinal infection. It may go away on it's own, BUT I would take it to another vet and get a second opinion, I don't think it's allergies. Don't worry cats are pretty resiliant. If you want to give her something to eat, don't give her anything with cereal in it, cats find it harder to digest than pure protein. If she's hungry, give her only a very small bit of tuna to see how she handles it, but it might be better not to give her anything at all. Cats have one of the toughest immune systems in the animal kingdom. If you want to help her, just let her lie there and get rest in a warm quiet spot with access to cool water. She'll be okay.
How do you know that she got the proper vaccination since you found her last month?
Sometimes when you change a cats diet it can cause upset stomach and bloody stool. If you havent changed her diet recently maybe she ate something around the house? Kittens are so much like babies they will put anything in their mouths and try to eat it!! Indeed it could be allergies since she is a kitten it will be harder for her to get over the sickness, since you say she is playing and eating I honestly would just keep an eye on her and continue your trip to the vet in the morning. And by the way picking her up since she was a poor stray was very wondeful of you!! Best of luck to you and the kitty
I don't know if you have had her two weeks or longer, but if you got her less than two weeks ago she may have been harboring distemper, very dangerous, even if she had her shots. Now this is just a small possibility, but I would take the advice given by the previous answerers and get her to a vet right away. Look for emergency vets, vets who will take emergency calls and meet you at their clinics during the night, their ads should telll you. And certainly try another vet. We are all human and vets can make mistakes, too. The best of luck to you and your baby.
The same thing happened to me about 1 year ago. My kitten whom was only 3 months old (12 weeks), was coughing up blood, vomiting, blood in her stools. It was horrible. I took her straight to the vet and her organs where shutting down. I asked the vet what could have caused this to happen. They don't know, more than likely a blood infection. I am sorry to hear about your cat and I hope that you can do all to save it. Take her to the vet and get them to do a pre anesthetic blood test which can detect alot. Also take her to a veterinary hospital and not just a regular vet. It will cost alot but it could save the life of your cat.
Has any bloodwork been done? Has she had a FeLv/FIV test? You say you think she's had all of her vaccinations.did she have 2 distemper vacciantions 4 weeks apart? She should have had the first one at 8 weeks of age or close to and her second one at 12 weeks. Have you taken a stool sample in to the vet and had it tested for coccidia and worms? Has she been treated for an upper respitory infection? Has she been checked to see if she has asthma? If none of this has been done then it needs to be.
I used to work at the local humane society, as well as a vets office.. You may want to ask the vet if your kitten has Coccidia (*-sid-ea) just to help you say it when you talk to the vet. If that is what your cat has they will treat it with Albon, my dog has gotten it before and if you treat it soon enough everything will be fine. If you would like more info here is a website for you.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/coccidia.

No comments:

Post a Comment