Monday, May 24, 2010

Vocal Cat..?

A little history. I have Black, Orange and Grey cats. The Black was the vocal one, Orange was semi quiet and Grey is practically mute.

We got rid of Black and all of a sudden Orange took his place as the musical animal, howling at all hours of the night while Grey was still “mute”

My sister's BF took the Orange one and now the quiet Grey won't shut up. Meowing endlessly, howling at night. He'll sit there in the kitchen looking at us and meowing. I don’t think it’s cause he is lonely cause the other two howled anyway when they were together.

Does anyone know WHY this is happening? He goes from being the "baby" mute to full force vocal cat!! He is about 4-5 years old and hardly made a peep until about 4 months ago when Orange left. Does anyone know why / how I can make him be quiet short of removing his vocal box (kidding)

I've done the whole water bottle thing and nothing.

HELP PLEASE
Answers:
Had the same problem. nothing worked sadly. I've become a dog person because of my cats
The last one is lonely. Get him a playmate. It's easier to take care of two cats than it is to take care of one lonely one.
Try playing with your cat more get him to interact with you try toys that make sounds if that does'nt work then, you could also put a clock that ticks in the place where he sleeps the sound might calm him.
alot of cats communicate by meowing at each other, he may be lonely at this point and that is why he decided to open his little mouth! make sure you give him enough attention so he wont feel so lonely! he may also be trying to communicate with you..purina cat facts says that cats normally communicate with their humans by meowing loudly to show affection, to let us know they're hungry, things like that..so he may just be ecstatic to finally be the only cat!!
Cats are normally not loners. They need their humans and/or other cats. Sounds to me like as you removed their "family" they didn't like it and started letting you know it. I have one baby who has been quiet since day 1 when she was the only one in my home. I have other kitties in and out of my home because I foster them for a local rescue group. She stays quiet until one of the foster babies gets in "her" spot which is the back of the recliner. The "guests" learn quickly that this is her "throne" and they don't bother it after about twice. Times when I have had no other cats at home, she has gotten vocal for maybe a day, but then quit.

You really should get another cat. Your baby is lonely.

1 comment:

  1. Your cat's vocalness increased as they got lonelier ans lonelier. I have two cats, and when they are separated, they yowl. I suggest you get another cat. Kittens adjust well, and most older cats will take in kittens better than other adults. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete