Thursday, July 30, 2009

Spray bottle training?

I have a new kitty and I am trying to use the bottle to train her to stay off the countera and table. When I spray her, she just stands there! Is there something that can be added to the water, something that she would hate, that could help?
Answers:
Water and a FIRM NO ! should be sufficient .if you add something like alcohol or vinegar or any thing else ,when you spray her you get it in her eyes..no need to hurt her,she will get the message just keep it up!!
You could try rubbing alcohol. But don't get her too soaked with it. You could also try bitter lemon or bitter lime. You can find that in the pet stores.
Where do you spray her? When I hit my cat in the face with the water she turns and runs! It's the only thing I have that makes her back off when she decides that mom tastes good!!
I do know that my cat dosen't like the smell of vinegar..that might be a suggestion. Good luck!
I heard of that spray bottle technique and just to let you know, it's not the best technique I heard of! I have a new baby cat Yin Yang (check my 360) and so far the best technique I found effective is to talk to him as if I would talk to a child. He did it 3 times total , including the kitchen table and stopped ever since! Call me the cat whisperer but it really works! Make sure you have eye contact when you do it! Cats are more intelligent than they might look. If you spray he might eventually start to hate you for it from bad association. Use love . Don't yell but talk firmly to him for a couple of minutes everytime he does it.
Not all cats respond to spray bottle training. One alternative is to cover your counters and tables with alluminum foil when you aren't using them. This tends to put most cats off from jumping up on the counters.

Another is to get a can and fill it full of pennies and shake it every time the cat jumps up there. You could also look into clicker training your cat (it works) to redirect them from doing things you don't want them to. It's also makes you realise how intelligent cats are and you can impress people with your highly trained cat. For more information, do a search for 'clicker training'.

No comments:

Post a Comment