Thursday, July 30, 2009

Strategy for Moving Alot of Cats to New Home?

I have aquired alot of cats, more than I had planned on. But, due to deaths and neighbors moving and leaving their cats, I have over 20. I just had all of the remaining unaltered ones spayed/neutered, and I am moving. Considering no one's beating down my door to adopt, looks like they are going to have to come with me. I've decided most are going to have to stay outside at my new house. It is just too hard to manage anywhere close to this many inside. The new house has plenty of acreage and is safe. I know I'm going to have to confine them for awhile, and need to figure out what I can confine them in that they can't escape, but is roomy enough for this many. I have an outdoor shed, but I will have people coming in and out of there so frequently that I don't trust that the cats will not get out. I'm thinking my only option is some sort of pen, but don't have any clue as far as what I should try to get someone to build, or if there's a pre-built option I'm not familiar with. Thanks.
Answers:
I found myself in this same position several years back, after I had spayed and neutered all the cats then people started asking for them. Try running an ad for fixed cats, you'll get more responses than you expect.
As for the move, you should try to keep them inside in a spare room for 2 weeks or so and then let them out
Good Luck
I would use a dog run type of thing with a shelter. You will need to cover the top and be sure the fencing doesn't have holes big enough for them to slip out. I would use chicken wire for the top and something more substantial like chain link for the sides. You need to be sure that there are no gaps at ground level or where the fence meets a building or at the gate or anything.
if u cant manage all of them why not do the kindest thing for them and give some of them to a shelter to rehome?? They ALL deserve individual love and attention and it is not really fair to heap them all outside. Im not judging u and think its a very kind thing u have done, but so many times i have seem people in exactly the same situation as u become overrun and ultimately the cat sufferers for misguided love. I really do think it would be the kindest thing for them. keep a few but 20?? thats too much for anyone to handle. Find a shelter that will not destroy them but find them a home. PLEASE do whats best for the cat, no matter how much u love them. Good luck
----
Zoologist working with both wildlife rehabilitation AND domestic animal rescue
Why confine them if they will be outside cats? matbe just move 5 at atime, or else board some or have someone catsit for some, and move the most likely to adapt the best first, so that when you bring the rest, they can follow their lead.20 cats penned in together sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. My mom has aquired, in yhe same manner as you, about 25 cats. She had 12-15 when she moved to her current home, %26 she just took a few at a time, every few days.But she only had to move 100 miles, so if you are going very far, thats not really a feasible idea. You could just split them up %26 put some in each room for a bit.Or just the kittens,ones recovering from surgery, etc, could be kept inside.They make big dog runs, but they are usually only about 4 feet high, about 10-15 ft long, and not sure if they have a closed off top.Maybe make one w/chicken wire %26 some posts,or use the existing structures/fences to build off of w/it? Good luck w/ your kitties.
I moved quite a few cats to my new home about 3 years ago. We moved to a farm with 5 acres. I wasn't sure how they would react. I just let them out. Some ran in different directions kinda of scared not knowing what was going on. I was worried if I would ever see them again.

When I went out to feed them that evening, they all came running. I don't think they need to be confined anywhere. If they are going to be outside cats, let them roam and get used to the place they are in.

Almost all cats will come running if they are hungry. I think confining them will only stress them more. Confining them for a few weeks and then letting them out is only prolonging them really getting used to their surroundings. If you have plenty of acreage they really have no where to escape to.

Good luck. It sounds like your doing a good job with all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment