Friday, July 31, 2009

Take my cat for a 6 day vacation and 15 hour car ride?

We're going home for the holidays and it's a 15 hour drive. I am totally attached to my 7 month old kitten and he's attached to me too (He follows me all around the house, hates to be in any room by himself and cries if he's "misplaced" me for a minutes, etc.)

He's used to driving in cars and he walks on a leash. I take him out to the parks, trails, etc. often. The longest car ride he ever had was 1 hour and all he did was fall asleep in the back seat.

I'd really really hate to be apart from him for 6 whole days.

If I leave him at home, my friend would housesit but - my cat doesnt know her that well, and he'd still be alone a lot more than he's used to. We're going to be staying at my in-laws house and I'm sure he'd be ok there for a week with us there too - but I'm worried about the drive and all.
Answers:
Be glad that "acer." isn't your boyfriend! Animals are more loyal and are better for you than most people in your life. This guy is an example of that.

Some cats will handle a trip OK, some will not. We had a pet sitter, that's right "ace", a pet sitter - for our 3 month old kitten the first year we had him when we went for a week's vacation. He was fine. That way we didn't have to worry about the drive, the hotel (in this case your inlaws') etc. I missed him but it was better. I did not board him. The pet sitter was virtually the same price. Plus the sitter took in our mail, watered our plants etc. A good one will leave messages for you on your answering machine or email so you know everything is OK.

You could start now by having your friend come over frequently and meet your cat, feed him etc. Leave some of your clothes on your bed when you leave, and maybe a shirt or something of your friend, so the cat will know the smells are OK.

We had to take our cat to a hotel with us years later, when we had to have some work done on our house, and the drugs to calm him would not work. Adreneline can block that. He was freaked. He hated the smells, the noise. But that was not an option situation.
I think I'd leave him at home. It seems like a long trip plus he'd have to get used to a new environment. Maybe your friend can start coming over to get to know him now.
I brought my three cats across country 2000 miles. It took us 7 days. They took it better than my son did and they weren't that used to the car. Make sure you have the kitty in a carrier though. Put a comfy cushion or towelk in the bottom and he'll probably sleep most of the time.
Taking a cat with you won't make any difference. He can sleep in the car and you can get out and walk every few hours. What is your apprehension?
" I'd really really hate to be apart from him for 6 whole days."
Oh My God!

Its a CAT not a boyfriend!!
Cats can sleep up to 16 a day, so the ride shouldn't be a problem. You may have to make more frequent stops with the cat so he can stretch his paws and relieve himself.
Going out of state with your cat remember to at least put a collar and id tag on him in case he disappears at your in-laws house. Things happen and you're better to prepare for the worst than regret it later.
I took my cat on an 8 hr ride twice. She did very well considering she is very nervous and skittish. I kept her in her carrier for a little while and then just let her roam free around the car. You have to be careful that he doesnt end up under the brake peddle! She had her litter box, water and food. She used the box but didnt really eat.

I think your baby will be ok!
If it's a kitten then the drive should be okay.The only thing on a kitten mind is food and play.It's when they get older u have a problem.I know I took my cat twice for a 7 hour trip there and back.She was fine but she didn't like it and stayed under my seat.I had a cage for her but she liked under my seat better.Take the cat it will be fine.
check with a local vet.they have kennels for cats and dogs, and vary in price on the size and the time you will be away. In this case you would feel more comfy going on your trip, your cat still will get fed and watered and enough attention while you are away.
I understand you're attached to him but you need to think about what's best for him. Why would you want to put him through that? Cats are nervous creatures to begin with and that would be putting him through alot. Leave him at home with someone you trust or put him in a kennel.
Leave him at home. He needs to stay at home. not have little adventures over to in-laws, 15 hours away. 1 hour in a car is really a lot but 15 hours is really cruel to leave him in a car, going over bumps and all for 15 hours.

He isn't a baby - leave him at home with your friend, just ask him/her to spend an hour or two playing with him. he might like that better than being alone.

It is only 6 days - as long as he has a few hours of company each day, food, water, clean litter tray, toys, scratching pole and maybe, if your friend is willing, a short walk on the lead around your street.

He will not feel safe in somebody else's house, even if it is just for 6 days. Keep him at home - he will feel safer and he will stay used to your house.
Are you sure he will be welcome in your in-laws house? Do they have cats or dogs? That would be the tricky part of the holiday. Your kitten may destroy their Christmas tree and create some havoc that your in-laws might not be happy about.

It sounds like he would be fine for the trip. Especially since you can give him a break since you have him leash-trained.

So make sure he will be welcome as a holiday guest before going through with your plans.
please do not the poor kitty will hate you for it be terrified of the whole ride proboaly get lost and its only six days cats do not like change so it will be better for him to be at your house with your friends checking up on him and you can leave a big long list of instructions for them to make sure your kitty is ok and you can have them call you everyday to see how your kittys doing
I think that you should take him with you. He will probably sleep the whole time. He just needs to be fed and give him water to drink. And make sure you have a place for him to go pee. You might want to put him in one of those cage lookin things when you get there because the little guy will probably get scared when you get there and try to run away. It might take him some time to get used to the environment.
It would probably be a little less stressful on your feline friend to take him with you. Since he's still a kitten he needs you there to encourage him and teach him whats good and whats a no-no. He'll do fine, but bring along a carrier with a cushion or towel that has your scent on it (it helps comfort the animal), provide PLENTY of water, food, and treats to avoid dehidration and crankyness from hunger. Take him out every now and then and pet him but not for to long or he might get restless. Put him on the shadiest side of the car and sit in the back seat with him so he isnt nervous. Also make sure he has i.d tags and a collar on, and every rest stop you come to bring him out on his leash for a little walk to break up the boredome. Also bring his favourite couple toys along for the ride.
If he is welcomed at your in-laws then I'd say take him. I drove from Washington State to Florida with my two and they did fine. I gave mine something called Rescue Remedy. It's all natural and can be found at health food stores. If the car does not stress him out then he won't need it. You will need to provide a small litter box for him to use. I use to put the litter box behind on seat and the food and water behind the other one. I have traveled with my cats numerous times and they did fine.
My vote is take the baby with you.
he should be OK.if he has a favourite toy or blanket put that in the backseat with him,to keep him comforted.
also put a small box with some news paper and litter on the floor of the backseat just in case he needs to do his thing.
other then that he should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment