Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spay or neuter?

Hello all and thanks in advance for ur positive responses.

I have a cute ragdoll cat who gave birth to 4 kittens. I had her mate on purpose so I could have a new kitten in mt own home as well as at my 2 sisters and one brothers house.

The kittens are almost 7 weeks old and I would like to have them spayed and neutered (except for my kitten, so I can continue breeding) b4 I give then away. And more important than that I want to have me cat fixed (she runs out from time to time, usually when I'm bringing in groceries or laundry,) and I'm terrified she may be in heat without me knowing it and mate when I least expect it and I would'nt feel right killing kittens by having her neutered then.
But I defently don't want mix breed kittens.



Someone told me about a site that gives away vouchers you can print out for discounts or free neutering.

She's almost stopped nursing and I would love to set an appointment for her for a little peace of mind.

I live in Philadelphia,
Answers:
I am glad to hear that you want to spay/neuter the kittens before they leave for their new homes. However, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. You may think that a spay is a spay is a spay, etc., but a cut-rate operation may cause more problems in the long-run, i.e. sloppy job and the cat gets pregnant, infection, etc.

I believe that using a veterinarian that you know and trust is by far the better way to go.
Why are you going to continue breeding? Are you one of those people that has to perpetually have a "kitten"? Or are you going to sell them? Because honestly, there are more than enough backyard breeders in the world.

And you don't want mixed breeds.how sad. I understand why you wouldn't want your cat running out and mating, but mixed breeds are beautiful, too.

If you can't afford to spay and neuter all your cats, why are you purposely breeding?

And your kittens can be neutered as long as they're at least 8 weeks old and weigh at least 2lbs. This is known as early neuter/spay and a lot of shelters are currently doing it to ensure that the kittens are fixed before being adopted.
Hi, The only vouchers i know of, is check with the County Humane Society. Or some of the pet rescue places. Good Luck.
So your a licensed breeder? nobody should be breeding their cats except for licensed breeders. that is just totally irresponsible. it was totally selfish of you for the reason you were breeding your cat when there are thousands of unwanted kittens needing homes, you should have just gone to the shelter and adopted some kittens you would have been doing a good thing. but I do say at least you had homes picked out for the kittens. get ALL your cats and kittens spayed and neutered. as soon as you can.
Try taking her to your local animal shelter. They typically will do that at a reduced price. It where almost every animal I've had has gotten fixed except one, she saw a regular vet and it was more expensive.
Spaying are for female cats and Neuter are for male cats
I know the humane societies sometimes have vouchers. Good luck getting positive responses. If you saw the number of strays the man next door feeds you might understand why people are not giving you the positive responses you'd hoped to receive.
If you can not afford to spay and neuter the kittens please quit breeding them. If you can not care for the ones you hvae porperly don't make more that you can't care for.
The ASPCA has some low cost spay and neuter programs check with them or your local humane society or shelter they should be able to help you.
Your kittens arn't even old enough to be altered yet.

As far as I'm concerened you're not being responsible at all. Only liscenced cat breeders are to do what you're doing. Does the breeder you bought your cat from know about this? I'm sure it's concidered a breach of contract between you two, and I'm sure she would take her back.

stupid back yard breeders.
Kittens must not be neutered before they are about 6 months old at least.
You are to spay a female by the time she is 6-7 months old, before she goes in heat. Same with neutering a male. If you have them adopted before they reach that age, I think there may be some paper work/rules about making sure the new parents get the kittens spayed/neutered. Although, I'm not sure if you are responsible for paying for that or what. You should look into that. Also, sometimes you can find pure bred cats in a shelter. There are so many cats and kittens that need good homes, you don't always have to go to a breeder. The cats at the shelters have to live in cages that may not be well maintained, and there, they aren't always treated humanely. Also, perfectly wonderful pets get put to sleep everyday, just because they haven't found enough homes. For all of you reading, please look at your local animal shelter for your new pet.
Hi i don't mean to sound nasty but if your family have been doing this for years you should have a local family vet that you can go to which will give discount because you have been going to then for years and that you are a registered breeder i do i get discount for being registered and discount for being a long time customer as they know all my dogs and love it when i take my pups in.
So if you are a licenced breeder selling kittens use some of that money to have your cat spayed and leave the schemes to genuine low income people. Ruddy cat breeders make me angry. Have you ever taken the time to find out how many purebred cats are in rescue shelters? Or don't you care? Once you have been given your money the plight of unwanted cats doesn't matter to you eh?
Shame on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment