Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stiff legged Cat.?

I have a young cat, just over a year old. Lately, when he gets up after sleeping or lounging, he walks with one very stiff back leg for a few minutes. I kind of attributed it to the fact that he had been sleeping, and I'm sometimes stiff after sleeping. But I'm old and he is young, and in all the years I've had cats I have never seen this.
Has anyone else ever seen this behavior in their cat?
He seems normal after a couple of minutes of limping around.
Answers:
There is a possiblity that he may have hurt himself at somepoint by jumping up or down from something. My cat did this to herself and I just massaged her hind quarters for a few days and she is fine now.
It is not uncommon for cats (especially young ones) to misjudge distances when they are jumping up onto furniture.
I'm sure that he will be okay in time!
Good Luck!
Ask the vet, that's what they are there for.
Sounds like your young cat could already be suffering from arthritis. Maybe you should consider getting a vet to check it out incase your cat suffers more with time. I heard that suger. from human sweet foods can cause this. Make sure never to share any treats with your cat that aren't made specifically for cats.
He had hurt himself somehow. He is way too young for arthritis, he needs to be checked out. Blood is not getting to the area that needs to be quick enough or possibly he is babying it fearing it will hurt too much to put all pressure on it all at once, I have seen this in adults and sonetimes it was related to a spinal problem so best have it checked out as soon as possibile before it gets worse costing you allot of money. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment