Thursday, July 30, 2009

Surgery for male cat with lower urinary tract disease?

My cat has been "blocked" several times and the vet is recomending a surgery that will esentially make him more like a female. Do you know anything about the outcome? Is it fair to put the cat through this?
Answers:
I don't know exactly what you mean by 'blocked'. Do you mean that he had a urinary tract infection from crystals in his bladder? My cats, both male and female have suffered from this problem several times so perhaps I can pass on the information I was given by my vet,. It seems that the problem is common both among males and females but more dangerous in males, because the crystals can enter the urethra and block it. The vet usually treats it with medication to dissolve the crystals and antibiotics to prevent infection from the cuts and scratches caused by the crystals. It seems that once the cat gets a urinary tract infection, he becomes more susceptible to it.銆€Therefore the only way to prevent a recurrence is to feed him a low PH food like Waltham's urinary tract support. It's more expensive than ordinary cat food, but well worth it in the long run.
I think you should get a second opinion about getting an operation. You may be able to deal with the problem simply by changing the cat's diet.
I think it would be better than to let him keep getting those blockages. My cat had those when he was young and I know he was miserable. Good Luck.
Yes. Every time he is "blocked" it is very painful. I would do it.
Go ahead with it. Move to Barbados and buy kitty a Chanel handbag. Let him start a new life as Pamela Puss. Don't think of the scandal: Pamela's above that sort of trash.
I've known a couple cats who have had this. They didn't know the difference. They lived for many pain-free years after the surgery. Cats are surprisingly non-judgmental about that sort of thing. I think they were just glad not to have to suffer the blockages anymore. I believe that those hurt like hell and it is not fair to put human hang-ups ahead of relieving cat suffering. I think it saves money and carpet cleaning in the long run.
Do it. It will save your cat's life and allow him to live it free from pee-pee pain. I am sure your cat wants to live, don't you?
my wife had a cat with the same problem. when it first happened she let the cat have the surgery, the cat did fine for about 2 years and it happened again and the wife couldnt afford to have the surgery again so i she said she had to have the cat put down. what ever u decide to do, good luck with it
My male cat had the same problem. They did the surgery you're talking about. He died anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment