Friday, July 31, 2009

The vet says my cat has got an infection from another cat that I got from the shelter.?

The shelter cat apparently has blood parasites and is in its last stages. I was shocked to discover that my regular cat has now got the infection. She isn't showing symptoms yet but a test yesterday revealed that she has some sort of infection. I had separated the two cats about 3 weeks ago. The vet has prescribed some tablets to help fight the infection, but it breaks my heart knowing I can do little else but hope and pray. Is there anything else I can do? SHould I get a second opinion? My regular cat has gotten all her immunisations. The vet only conducted a blood count test before coming to a conclusion. Please help!
Answers:
I wouldnt rush to another vet just yet. Your vet I am sure has been around long enough to know that if one cat died from an infection, and theres anothr cat in the home. The odds are pretty good of it being the same thing. I would ask more question to the vet. This way if it doesnt add up to you then seek advice elsewhere. Until then I would just make sure you are giving the kitty it's meds. Good luck I hope everything works out.
go to another vet
you can get a shot for that stuff. ask the vet, he or she can help with that.
you just have to becareful because cats like to go outside and fool around alot. sometimes stuff like this happens.

make sure you give the cats plenty of clean water and food.
have a clean environment for them to live in.

you are doing good.
unfortunately, a lot of the animals that come through the shelters have diseases and parasites and all kinds of things that they have been exposed to
sue the shelter
Since you are hoping and praying, and medicating your cat, I feel it is the best you can do, and unless God gives you something else to do, (because when we pray and really trust God), He will give an answer to our prayers. So just wait for Him, or the answer He will give through someone else. I sincerely pray with you that you little "sweet heart" kitty will be alright. I hurt for sick pets, and other sick animals too. God cares about them also, more than some would believe. Best wishes.
Hi Taurus, It sounds like you are a very nice person.You safed a cat from the animal shelter,and the cat gave your cat parasites.If your not happy with what your vet is doing,yes see another vet.He might beable to give your pets a shoot that would work alot faster.Your first cat should be alright after the treatments.YOU have gotten all the shoots she needs.I sure wouldn't give up on your shelter cat.Just let your pets know you love both of them,and will nurse them through this terrible thing.I think in the end,things will work out to the good for all of you.

Clowmy
Shelter cats (and dogs) should be checked and free from any infection or illness with a health guarantee.
Well they are here in Australia. Before being re-homed all animals are vet checked, wormed, micro-chipped, de-sexed the whole lot. With a health guarantee of two weeks (minimum).

This question highlights the need for humane and proper treatment and the differing legislation throughout USA.
you should also let the shelter know about your cat. they may have a sick policy to cover certain vet bills for you.

i use to work at a shelter and all the animals were checked for parasites, dewormed, fixed, combo tested(felv/fiv), and microchipped. the shelter had a sick policy in case the cat got a kitty cold.
taurus hon get a second opinion.our pets are like family so go to another vet i love my vet but if in doubt i go to another clinicjust to make sure .prays your kitty gets well

No comments:

Post a Comment