Thursday, July 30, 2009

stop cat from jumping on screen?

How do i stop my cat from jumping on my sliding screen door? anybody have a good idea?
Answers:
A row of thumb tacks works great. I did that with my cat and after the first time she stopped all together.
i for one am against declawing, b/c its an unessacery surgery that leaves a cat defenseless. all you have to do is make sure their nails are trimed (this way they dont feel the need to "file" down their nails.. preferably on carpets, couches, and of course screens) it also helps to keep handy a squirt gun or a spray bottle, to spray them when they do it, this way they'll get the hint not to do this. believe me, cats dont like water. (except maine coone cats--which i'm pretty sure this is not what you have) its pretty simple to fix, you just have to stay on top of it. dont spray him after wards, but spray him when he's in the act or right before you KNOW he is going to start to go for the screen.
best of luck to you!
A friend of mine had the same problem with two kittens that thought it was great fun until every time they jumped on the screen they were sprayed with water, a mist bottle works well, especially if you spray from the other side onto the cats face. Good Luck.
spray bottle your cat when he jumps up.
I still dont find out how to stop my cat from sleeping over my car's roof and enterint thru the windows of the house to bother the parakeet and siting at the middle of the street when cars wanna pass.
paint the face of a big ferocious dog on the screen
I agree with Jody and Hey- spray water from a bottle a few times and the cat will learn. My kitten has that problem too. I also disagree with de-clawing so please do not consider that as a solution- cats *love* their claws!
I had a problem with my cat jumping on the screen and clawing both the carpet and couch. I don't believe in declawing, and the spray bottle only works when you are home to catch them. I opted for a product called "soft claws". It's basically a soft plastic nail covering that stays on with an adhesive. They are non toxic and come in pretty colors. They don't bother my cat and her normal routine. She didn't even notice they were on. I no longer worry about my furniture. They can be ordered online or bought in pet stores. I hope this helps
use a water bottel and spray him everytime he get on there.. works for alotta then also like getting on counters or digging in house plants
I assume you mean he's inside and doing this.

Go to home improvement store, like Home Depot. Go to where they sell already cut plexiglass. Ask if you can't find it. Place the largest piece of plexiglass in between one of the glass sliders and in front of the screen part.

This leaves air coming in at the top, which is nice, yet protects the bottom from the kitty's claws :)
Spray bottles are a VERY BAD IDEA, as it only damages your cat's trust of you, teach them that you are a WEIRDO who likes to spray them at odd moments for no reason at all. They do NOT associate your noxious behavior with their actions. It is YOUR problem, obviously!

Put double-stick tape or StickyPaws on the screens. Cats don't like how that feels on their paws and will avoid the area.

Keep your cat's claws trimmed weekly. Dull claws do less damage.

There is special screening products which are resistant to scratching:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/paren.

No comments:

Post a Comment